Our aim is that each child leaves our school equipped for lifelong learning remembering it with happiness. We value achievement and success in all areas of children’s lives. We encourage children to celebrate their out of school sporting and musical achievements in Friday Celebration worships. Our school recognises that outstanding pastoral care provides children with the tools to succeed academically. The Primary National Curriculum subjects at Newton Tony CE VC primary school are:
- Design and technology
- Art and design
- Physical education (PE), including swimming
- Ancient and modern foreign languages (French taught from Y2-6)
We also teach:
- Religious Education (parents can ask for their children to be taken out of the whole lesson or part of it).
- Personal, social and health education (PSHE)
Key Stage 1
Hedgehogs (Year 1) and Squirrels (Year 2) belong to Key Stage 1. The children access Phonics, Spelling, Mathematics and English during the morning session.
Key stage 2
Squirrels (Year 3) and Badgers (Years 4, 5 and 6) belong to Key Stage 2. Children work from a two and three-year rolling programme which incorporates all areas of the National Curriculum 2014. Phonics, Spelling, English and Mathematics lessons are taught in the morning sessions but these skills are incorporated in all aspects of the curriculum.
At Newton Tony we endeavour to promote high standards of literacy in line with the 2014 Curriculum. We believe that English is a fundamental curriculum area which enables all children to be able to communicate effectively. Click the following link for more information Primary National Curriculum English KS1 and KS2
We are currently focusing on improving our writing standards across the curriculum eg, History, RE and Science , ensuring children understand that expectations are high in all areas (not just in their English books). We incorporate ‘Talk for Writing’ strategies and focus on providing exciting and meaningful opportunities to develop their reading, writing and spoken English further across the curriculum. Click on the link to learn more Talk4writing
Our aim is for all children to:
- Be competent in the art of speaking and listening
- To read easily and fluently with good understanding
- To want to read widely and often, for pleasure and information
- Write clearly and accurately
- Aquire a wide vocabulary and a good understanding or grammar
- Use discussion in pairs or groups in order to learn.
In Newton Tony we endeavour to promote high standards of maths in line with the 2014 National Curriculum. We believe that maths is essential to everyday life, necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. Click the following link for more information Primary National curriculum Mathematics KS1 and KS2
Our aim is for children to:
- Be fluent in the fundamentals of maths
- Reason mathematically and solve problems by applying their maths
- Have a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about maths.
In Newton Tony we endeavour to promote high standards of Science in line with 2014 National Curriculum, providing the foundations for understanding the world through the disciplines of biology, physics and chemistry. Click the following link for more information Primary National curriculum Science KS1 and KS2
Our aim is to help children build on their knowledge and concepts to:
- Develop a sense of excitement and curiousity about natural phenomena
- Predict how things might change
- Explain what is occurring
- Analyse causes
- Understand the implications of science for today and the future
- Become independent learners.
In Newton Tony we endeavour to promote high standards of Computing in line with 2014 National Curriculum. Click on the following link for more information Primary National curriculum Computing KS1 and KS2 Our aim for all children is to develop the skills in:
- Problem solving
- Discussing and sharing good practices
Click on the links below for more information about the National Primary Curriculum